It’s been awhile since we have done a toilet paper roll craft. With Valentine’s Day coming up we decided it was time to change that and made a “Bee Mine” Valentine Day Craft using a recycled toilet paper roll.
I love using toilet paper rolls in crafts, because they are free. I’ve got everyone trained to keep them when they change out the toilet paper. We have a storage container with our craft supplies just for toilet paper and cardboard rolls.
Cost: Under $5
- Recycled toilet paper roll
- Yellow paint
- Black piper cleaner
- Yellow, black, white, & red card stock or construction paper
- Black marker
Age: This project has several steps making it difficult for little ones without a lot of assistance. My preschooler put one together with assistance.
1. Paint the toilet paper roll yellow and allow to dry.
2. Cut 3 long stripes of black paper and wrap around the toilet paper roll to make stripes.
3. For the eyes cut out 2 white circles and 2 smaller black circles. Glue the white circles onto the toilet paper roll and then the black on top of the white.
4. Cut the pipe cleaner into 2 pieces about 3 inches each. Twist the pipe cleaners and tape to the inside of the toilet paper for the antennae.
5. Cut 2 small hearts from the yellow paper and glue onto the back of the toilet paper roll to make wings.
6. Cut a small heart from the red paper. Using a black marker write “Bee Mine” on the heart and glue it to the top of one wing.
Ideas for Learning & Development:
- Colors: Review the colors used for this project: black, yellow, white, and red.
- Math: Count how many strips the bee has, how many eyes, and how many antennae.
- Shapes: The bee has heart wings and a heart with “Bee Mine”. The toilet paper roll is a cylinder. The eyes are circles.
- Recycling: Reuse what you already have.