We first made this sponge painted apple craft with my son’s preschool class a couple of years ago. The preschoolers thought it was pretty neat to trade in their paintbrushs for sponges.
Also try: Apple Dot Painting
Related: Sponge Painted Pumpkin Craft
To prep this project, gather your supplies and cut the sponge into long stripes. These long stripes will be the paintbrushes.
1. Give each child a sponge paint brush and either red or green paint.
2. Dad the sponge into the paint and then onto the paper plate. Repeat process until the paper plate is covered. Allow to dry.
3. Cut a stem from the brown paper and a leaf from the green paper and glue onto the front of the paper plate.
Extend the Activity
- Cut open an apple and explore the parts of an apple.
- Eat an apple snack.
- Work on early math skills, color identification, and fine motor skills with this Apple Sorting Activity or Fine Motor Color Matching Apple Sensory Bin.
- Visit an apple orchard and complete this Apple Orchard Scavenger Hunt
- Try one of these printable activities: Apple Tree Counting Puzzles | Apple Patterns
- Read books about apples.