This post contains affiliate links. See my Disclosure Policy for details.
Last week our school district made a huge announcement that school would be getting out several days early. The state made budget cuts mid year and in an effort to save money, the kids are getting out on the 8th of May rather than the 20th. How is that possible? We had a fairly mild winter and did not use any of our allotted snow days.
It did not come as a shock to me, because it’s what we did many, many years ago when I was in school. Our unused snow days were often tacked onto Easter break. My niece and nephew in another state had to attend school longer last year, because they had gone over their allotted snow days.
This announcement had many parents in an uproar, while I was doing a happy dance. Yes, I (for the most part) love having all my kids at home. Some of my reasons are selfish, but here they are.
- I love that we can have a lazy day and remain in our pjs all day.
- I love that I don’t have to worry about packing lunches.
- I love that I don’t have to make 3 trips to the school. Our oldest is in 2nd grade and gets dropped off in the morning. Our middle child is in afternoon preschool and gets dropped off after lunch. They both get picked up at the end of the day.
- I love not worrying about getting homework done. Our son does not put up too much of a fight with homework but it’s another thing we have to worry about in our already short and busy nights.
- I love doing fun stuff outside before the weather gets too hot. We go to park, have picnics, visit the zoo, and go on lots of walks and bike rides.
- I love looking out the window into the backyard and watching our three kids laugh and play. It feels my heart with joy. Of course there are few squabbles, but for the most part they have a good time together.
- I love the slower pace when we are all at home.
- I love soaking up as much time with them as I can, because they grow up so quickly.
We travel a lot during the summer to visit family. The kids and I took a month long road trip last summer. While we love to see and visit our extended family, it is not my idea of a lazy summer. It will be nice to have a few extra days at home before we begin our traveling journeys this summer. Thank you school board for giving me more time with my kids.