As adults we often want to wish our birthday away. I can’t get any older if I don’t have a birthday, right?!
Not the case with kids. My kids start talking about their birthdays weeks if not months in advance of the actual birthday.
It’s that one day a year that is theirs, so we like to do something special and unexpected for each child’s birthday.
We do cupcakes for school and a party with friends, but we like to add a small element of surprise to their special day. These are things that mean a lot to them and make them feel special, but do not cost a lot or take a lot time to do.
Easy and inexpensive ways to make your child’s birthday special:
1. Wrap their bedroom door in wrapping paper.
2. Wrap their bedroom door in packaging paper and draw on it or write a message.
3. Hang streamers in their bedroom doorway, so they have to break through them to get out.
4. Hang streamers from their bedroom ceiling.
5. Create a web in their bedroom with streamers.
6. Hang birthday signs from their bedroom ceiling.
7. Fill their room with balloons.
8. Make a balloon avalanche by taping streams across both sides of your child’s door jam and fill it with balloons.
9. Wrap the items in their packed lunch with birthday wrapping party.
10. Make a fun breakfast for them like these funfetti pancakes.
11. Make their favorite dinner.
12. Write birthday notes on the mirrors in your home.
13. Create a scavenger hunt to locate their birthday gift.
14. Make or buy a special birthday hat, crown, shirt, or badge.
15. Make the child’s favorite meal.
16. Make a special personalized plate that they only eat off of on their birthday.
17. Ask extended family and friends to shower the child with cards.
18. Surprise your child at school by eating lunch with them.
19. Stick a birthday card or little surprise in their backpack.
20. Do something special with just the birthday child such as play cards, ride bikes, or play basketball.
What fun and inexpensive ideas do you have for making your child’s birthday special?
You also might like Birthday Gifts for 5-7 Year Old Boys Under $15