This post contains affiliate links. See my Disclosure Policy for details.
It is almost time to renew our zoo membership. What better time of year to do it then in the spring with warming temperatures. The days are warm enough that we enjoy being outside and still cool enough for most animals to be out and active.
A couple of years ago in lieu of all the gifts our kids were receiving from relatives, I asked the grandparents to substitute some of those gifts with memberships and class fees. Some of the things the grandparents have paid for are a family zoo membership, YMCA youth memberships, gymnastic classes, karaoke classes, and Boy Scout activities.
The zoo membership has many great benefits, so it continues to be an annual gift from the grandparents. Our kids love going to the zoo and are always thrilled to receive this gift. Here are some of the benefits we reap from our membership.
- Unlimited admission for a year.
- Reduced cost for classes, camps, and other activities. Our zoo hosts an annual cookie decorating with Santa. Not only do we get a discount, but we also receive early notification of this activity that fills up quickly.
- Invitation to member only events. Our zoo has an annual member picnic where we eat for free and then get to visit the zoo without the general public.
- Early entry into special exhibits. Our zoo hosts a new traveling exhibit every six months and we get special access the night before the exhibit opens to the general public.
- Discounted entry into hundreds of other zoos nationwide-many are 50% off the normal price. We have used our membership for discounts at zoos in Kansas City, Omaha, and Houston; all much bigger than our local zoo.
Print these zoo scavenger hunts out and take with you on your next trip to the zoo. Your preschool and grade school age children will love filling them out as they visit the animals.
What’s your favorite zoo book? Our daughter went through a Goodnight Gorilla phase. We read it every evening before bed and at every naptime for weeks. I love Goodnight Gorilla, but was so ready to move on to something else. Need some zoo book ideas, check out House Full of Bookworms.
Linking up at these link parties.