Believe it or not, one of our kids’s favorite ways to create art is with the salad spinner. They have always loved to pull it out of the cabinet, push down the knob, and see how fast they can get it going. I never used it in meal prep, so we a couple of years ago we started using it to create art and all three kids loved it. That’s big! It’s not easy to find something that all three of them love and fight over who gets to go first.
It really does create stunning art. I love how the kids’s spin art hearts turned out for Valentine’s Day.
We didn’t choose the traditional colors of Valentine’s Day, but we have done a few red and pink Valentine’s Day projects and were ready to change it up a little. I love how bright and colorful they all turned out. The great thing about these spin art hearts is how different and unique they all are.
This post contains affiliate links. See my Disclosure Policy for details.
1. To get ready for this heart spin art project, I cut out a heart shape that would fit in the bottom of our salad spinner.
2. Once you have your heart shape ready, lay it on bottom of the salad spinner.
3. You are now ready to drizzle paint of your choosing on the heart in the salad spinner. I start out letting the kids add the paint.
Squeezing the bottles is good for strengthening the muscles and it’s their project, but they tend to add big globs of paint (especially when using the bigger bottles). To make sure we have paint for future projects, I usually try to help or closely monitor.
4. Once you drizzled paint on your heart, attach the lid to the salad spinner and start spinning.
5. Now you are ready to remove lid and inspect your heart. You can always add more paint and spin again if your heart does not have as much coverage as your desired (or it has too much of one color).
6. Pull your heart out and allow to dry. You can hang the hearts individually, create a heart garland, or use to make cards.
You Also Might Like