Turn your paper roll into a Pilgrim Hat Craft for kids with just a few simple supplies and easy to follow directions.
Has anyone else noticed our run on turkey crafts lately? I started looking back over everything we had made and realized that were just slightly heavy on turkey crafts. I love Thanksgiving turkey, but Thanksgiving is about so much more than turkey, so today were going back to the Pilgrims and making a Pilgrim Hat Craft.
This post contains affiliate links. See my Disclosure Policy for details.
- Paper roll
- Paper: black, yellow, white
We used cardstock paper. You could also use construction paper or even black paint to cover your paper roll.
If you are using a paper towel or wrapping paper roll, you will need to cut it down to about the size of a toilet paper roll before starting.
1. Cut a piece of black paper to fit your paper roll. Using a glue stick or white school glue, wrap the black paper around the paper roll. Hold the black paper for a few seconds to make sure it is completely attached.
2. Cut a strip of white paper, small square of yellow paper, and a smaller square of while paper.
3. Glue the small piece of white paper to the inside square of yellow paper. This is the buckle for your belt on your pilgrim hat. You can also cut out the center of the yellow square. I just find it easier to cut add the white paper to the yellow paper when crafting with kids. Glue the buckle to the white strip of paper.
4. Wrap the white strip of paper around the paper roll near the bottom and secure with glue.
5. Cut a circle for the bottom of the hat from black paper. You want the circle to be slightly bigger than the paper roll. We used our 3-Inch, Circle Craft Punch. You could also grab a cup from your kitchen and trace it on the black paper. Glue the black circle to the bottom of the paper roll (Pilgrim hat).
Turn this Pilgrim Hat Craft into a teachable moment by pairing it with a book like The Story of the Pilgrims.