We like to live on the edge and mix it up a little when painting. One of our favorite painting activities was a Jackson Pollock Inspired Art Project using kitchen utensils. We went a little safer (aka less messy) with this Shamrock art project for St. Patrick’s Day using sponges for resist painting.
This is a project recreated from Valentine’s Day. I love when we find a fun project that can recreated over and over for each new holiday. For Valentine’s Day it was hearts and for St. Patrick’s Day we used Shamrocks and sponges for resist painting.
Related: Tape Resist Cross
This post contains affiliate links. See my Disclosure Policy for details.
- Green paint
- Shamrock stencil
- White cardstock
We used two shades of green paint for this St. Patrick’s Day art project to add more dimension to our painting.
1. To get started, make a shamrock stencil that is smaller than the piece of paper you will be using for painting. Place the shamrock stencil near the center of the paper. We used a couple of pieces of tape to lightly attach the stencil to our paper.
2. Cut two pieces from the sponge to use for painting. We have used clothespins to hold our sponges, but this sponge was fairly stiff, so we chose to cut larger pieces of the sponges. Make sure your sponge paintbrush is large enough for your child to grip.
3. Dab the sponges in the paint and then dab onto the paper around the shamrock stencil alternating colors. Repeat until the white paper is covered. With the hand that is not painting gently press down on the shamrock stencil while painting around the shamrock.
4. Gently remove the shamrock stencil to reveal your shamrock.
SHARE YOURS WITH US
We love hearing and seeing how much you are enjoying our crafts and activities, tag us in your photos on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook.
You Also Might Like
- St. Patrick’s Day Dot Activity Printables
- Craft Sticks Rainbow Craft
- Shamrock Man Craft
- Pinch free St. Patrick’s Day Clothing
- St. Patrick’s Day Leprechaun Craft
- Paper Plate Rainbow Craft
- Crepe Paper Shamrock
- St. Patrick’s Day Scavenger Hunt
- Toilet Paper Roll Leprechaun Hats
Ali B says
I love it! The greens are so rich and remind me that spring is around the corner. My kids love using sponges for art!
We are looking forward to spring 🙂 Hope your girls enjoy it!